These Beautiful Beasts

red December roses
orange begonias, thick
fuchsia bushes dangling
purple pink bells. no signs

count down shopping
days to Christmas. they end
at 3:30. i understand
a nation of beasts tending
gardens, clutching the last fragile
petals in sleek claws,

wishing for a girl
to save them.


NOTE: Last night I broke my toe.  There were no ambulances available for "over an hour."  The minicabs had a 25 minute wait.  But, I finally got to the hospital.  At registration - a memo behind the nurse’s head announced that the Christmas pub crawl would begin at 7:00 on the 20th.

They x-rayed my foot.  Told me I'd broken my toe. Handed me a roll of tape and said "Go home.  Tape it up.  Keep it elevated for a week. It should heal - more or less straight - in a month."  When I looked at him like he was crazy, I was told, "We only set or splint bones broken 30 degrees or more. Besides it would hurt."

As if it didn't already?

Comments

Popular Posts