My Son, The Civil Rights Activist

Tonight Winston came racing out of the bedroom, shouting, "Daddy pushed me!"

"Daddy would never push you," I said.

"He did. He did push me!" Winston yelled.

"Hmmmm, that's a new idea about Daddy I haven't seen or heard before." I said while stirring a bubbling pot of chilli. "You're supposed to be getting pyjamas on and brushing teeth. What were you doing when Daddy pushed you?"

Norman calls out from the bedroom, "I was blocking him from hitting me."

"Winston, were you hitting Daddy?" I ask him.

He puts his hands on his hips and states, "I'm not talking."

Norman and I burst into laughter. Winston seriously and firmly states, "It's not funny." Which gave us a wonderful opening in discussing "being American." And how proud we were that he knew his rights. He listened intently for a few moments. Decided he had enough information about laws, lawyers and rights. Then promptly headed to the bedroom to get ready for bed.

Amazing how even a 3 year old can intuitively understand his Constitutional rights and use them effortlessly. Now, if only we could help the majority of Americans to act like 3 year olds - our country would be in better shape.

Comments

Popular Posts